Thursday, August 18, 2005

Support Group Etc...

So last night I went to my weekly Support Group session. Essentially, it's a group of about 10 guys (some of them married, some not, some old, some young), all of which are LDS, and struggling with SSA. It's really nice to be able to go and be able to talk about my difficulties in an environment where I'm better understood. The guys there don't judge, and continue encouraging each other to do what we need to do. It's nothing but support to continue to stick to the gospel teachings...and that includes not acting out in regards to SSA.
Things, with my SSA, at least, have been pretty good these past few days. I haven't gone and mucked around online anywhere I shouldn't be, and have, in essence, driven off most inappropriate thoughts that have come to mind...it's been really nice in that regard. With my depression, on the other hand, things have pretty much sucked. My depression meds (I'm currently on Zoloft) kind of....stopped working. This last weekend was probably one of the worst multi-day stretches of feeling miserable I've had since being home. I felt like crap...'nuff said, in my opinion...my family did, however, start to see just how bad things get.
I came home from church on Sunday, and Mom ran the usual 'how're you doing?' questions; to which I just shook my head...I was not in the mood to talk in the least, and I felt horrible...so a simple head-shake would suffice. I retreated into the den, to check email, etc. Enter Dad. "Why did you unplug my palm-pilot?" he questioned.
"Well, you haven't used it in over 3 months, and I moved my computer down here...there was no point in having it still plugged in." The topic of conversation then shifted to my sister taking the desk on which my computer currently resides, when she moves out next week (a welcome idea, as my sister and I butt heads frequently), so suggested the idea that I'd bring my desk down here, and the computer would live there. "You're not bringing that thing down here," dad ejaculated. "I'll just take my computer back up into my room, then," I said, coming to a reasonable means to an end. "You just seem to have all the answers, don't you?" my sister bellowed from the living room.
I had had it. I had retreated from the front room to avoid pesky conversations and accusations, only to find them to follow me. At this, I proceeded to my bedroom, and Dad, persistently, came to heckle me about Ethernet cable. "It's tucked behind the wall, and I am not going to pull it out right now," I said adamantly...I didn't want to be bothered with it, and I had just picked up a good book. "I'm the one who put that cord in -" he started to say. "No, I did, and I'm not pulling it out right now. If you want it, feel free to move my bed, take it out, and put things back the way they were before." At that, I realized that the house wasn't going to offer me any quiet, no matter where I went within.
I grabbed my keys, and started walking down the stairs. I passed Mom. "I'll be back later," I mumbled, to which she uttered a sigh, as if to say "oh no, who did what?" I took off to a friend’s house, where we worked on pricing out a computer for me, and just sat and chatted for a while.
Upon my return home, later that evening, Dad apologized to me, and my sister wrote me a note apologizing (how's that for sincere?). Out of it all, though, at least I got some reciprocity...they realized how crappy I was feeling, after trying to put that out, subtly, I finally got some sympathy...not that I'm starving for attention, but it's nice to have some understanding in the household, as to when I'm not doin' so hot.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Misunderstandings in the family really suck dont they? But its good your sister at least wrote you a letter apoligizing. Its better than no apology at all isn't it?

19 August, 2005 00:44

 

Post a Comment

<< Home