Friday, April 14, 2006

So For Now, I'm Alive



I didn't sleep this last night, but that's totally okay. I feel completely philisophical. Right now, I have reason, I have purpose. What that rason or purpose is, I'm not entirely sure, but at least I know that it's there.

Since I didn't sleep, I decided that I needed to watch the sunrise from atop the water tower. It was 6am, and I was already breaking the law. Unfortunately (but I think fortunately, as well, due to my fear of heights), the full stairwell up the side of the tower was blocked off, but that didn't stop me from climbing 1/4 of the way and watching as the sun rose.

I remember I kept on looking in the wrong place, trying to figure out where the sun would come up. It had been far too long since I had seen a sunrise, so I'm glad that I took this opportunity to watch for it.

I think I reallize, now, why it is that Superman gets his energy from our Yellow Sun. And Birdman too. The sun is envigorating, even if it is chilly enough outside that you can see your breath, and your black satin jacket isn't enouigh to keep you sufficiently warm.

White knuckled, I grasp the side of the ladder for, it must have been, close to an hour, and watched the sun rise. I read part of The Perks of Being a Wallflower while I was up there. I wanted to cry. And then, moments later, I was elated at the sight of the sun.

I've been questioning the very basis of my belief lately. What is right for me? What will bring me happiness? We only get one shot at life, and if you live it miserably, I think that's a sin. I wasn't created to be miserable, now was I?

The only thing that terrifies me about thinking like that, is that it involves toying with the idea of paving my own way...letting loose my grip on the beliefs that I've tried to cling to for 20 years...what if they're just not what I need? What if they're making this depression and self abuse worse? That terrifies me.

But for now...I have a little bit of peace...at least, I did when I started writing this.

I listened to, what I consider, our song on the way to and from the water tower today. I want it all back, what we had. But you don't think it's what's best, and I love you enough to let that hurt stay...the hurt of not being able to be close to me...but that's okay. It's out of me now...I don't have to try to find the words to express it again any time in the immediate future. The words are no longer threatening me.

I've read so much in these past 2 days, that it's almost staggering. I'm on a roll, and I think that I want to keep going with it.

For today, I have a reason to live. If I don't climb the water tower to watch the sunrise, it might as well not happen...Dawn breaking, I mean. It's kind of on the same vein as the "if a tree falls in the forest" thing...If I don't take advantage of the things in life that happen, then there's no point to living. Carpe diem. Morte Gratis. Bene Ego Volo.

The photo up there was actually taken just this morning. I was driving back from the water tower, and I saw the street "sunrise," and I had to take a photo.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunrise... Sunset...

As the sun gives into the moon and the moon gives into our dreams... we the night owls live and die within each moment, a bit of our soul slipping away from us to regain some sense of freedom it lost when it gave it's kiss of life to the small and fragile thing we were in the womb.

And as the moon is swallowed by the suns greatness, when we, the people of light, rushing to and fro from the corners of the earth, stretching every bit of their organic self to the sky and to the ground... living within each part of the day without knowing why...

It is at those twilight moments... dusk and dawn, the in betweens of power, when we the thinkers and the artists of the world open our eyes and see all that is there. the potential, the diamond in the rough that is the day and the night.

We Shape It.
We Live It.
We Shape It.
We Live It.

Congratulations on finding this days purpose, child of the dawn. son of the dusk.

~One With A Bit of Potential

15 April, 2006 01:32

 
Blogger epadavito said...

I really enjoyed your experience with the sun - I love nature so much - for me it totally helps me to forget what is going on in life and just kind of put things aside - which i think is needed at times. It sounds like you are receiving some peace but looking for something. I wish I knew what the answer was right now...but tonight it hasn't come - everyday is a new day though, a new struggle, or perhaps a new found happiness -you never know until it hits you, like the sun finally peaking its head from under the covers- you know something is coming, it may be amazing, heart warming, full of light and beautiful splendor -or , no there is no or - make it that!

16 April, 2006 02:05

 
Blogger elbow said...

What an amazing experience. Your insight into a life that belongs to you is not only essential to making right choices for yourself, but it is the way to find peace.

I felt so much from what you wrote. Not only did you make that experience happen by climbing and waiting, but you took initiative to write things down, to ponder, and even document with a photo. I feel like that is an allagory for your life, you can climb and wait and even document what's in your heart so that when you do carve out your own path, you will have felt whole and peace.

Amazing. I pray you find it.

17 April, 2006 07:30

 
Blogger el veneno said...

"Perks of being a wallflower" is an amazing book. I felt like I made a new friend in Charlie.
Have you finished it yet?

22 April, 2006 08:54

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love sunrise. I get up and watch it every morning, though usually from the comfort of my bedroom window.
It's funny how different your writing styles are here and on myspace. But don't worry, I wont tell.

23 April, 2006 14:33

 

Post a Comment

<< Home